Date Message Sent
||[RIDE] - Memo from Phyllis Lynch
Please see the following memo from Phyllis Lynch that went out in the Superintendent's weekly email on Friday.
PS - our Weekly WebEx starts in a few minutes; hope to see you there.
Date: Every Tuesday at 9:30 am
Meeting Number: 689 582 157
Meeting Password: Help2010
DATE: October 8, 2010
TO: Superintendents, District PLP Coordinators, and District Data Managers
FROM: Phyllis Lynch, Director, Office of Instruction, Assessment & Curriculum
RE: PLP Data Submission CHANGES
In an effort to streamline data collection we are including Personal Literacy Plan (PLP) data within the eRIDE enrollment census module. We are very excited to offer you this data collection update as it will provide an opportunity to establish a more reliable and useful data set to assist with districts’ literacy planning and programming.
District personnel will immediately notice a few major changes:
• The PLP data submission deadline is now February 1st to allow for accurate collection of Kindergarten PLP data.
• The “amount” of data that is being collected is smaller than in the past on the “old fashioned” RIDE District PLP Report Form.
• The four regional Collaboratives: East Bay, Northern, Southern, and West Bay, will need to provide sending districts their students’ PLP data prior to the February 1, 2011 deadline. It is recommended that the Collaboratives and Districts establish due dates to ensure that the District’s PLP data submission is completed by the deadline.
Therefore, every effort should be made to build in extra time for all to understand this new submission requirement. We strongly recommend that collection and verification of school level information occur well in advance of this new deadline.
To support the transition, we are offering the following WebEx Trainings on how to submit your SY 2010-2011 PLP Data to RIDE:
Thursday, October 28, 2010 @ 9:30 am
Register at: http://www.eride.ri.gov/WorkshopReg/viewWorkshop.aspx?workshopid=177
Monday, November 15, 2010 @ 9:30 am
Register at: http://www.eride.ri.gov/WorkshopReg/viewWorkshop.aspx?workshopid=178
Wednesday, December 1, 2010 @ 2:00 pm
Register at: http://www.eride.ri.gov/WorkshopReg/viewWorkshop.aspx?workshopid=179
Please make every effort to attend one of these trainings with your District Data Manager to ensure proper submission of PLP data. It should be noted that District Data Managers were made aware of this new submission requirement at their September 15, 2010 meeting at RIDE.
• K-5: All students reading below grade level must have a PLP.
(RI General Law 16-7.1-2)
• 6-12: Students reading 1 or more years below grade level must have a PLP. Students who are reading less than 1 year below grade level in grades 6-12 need to be receiving appropriate services but do not require a PLP.
(Board of Regents Regulation: K-12 Literacy, Restructuring of the Learning
Environment at the Middle and High School Levels, and Proficiency Based
Graduation Requirements (PBGR) at High Schools, 2008)
If you have any questions regarding PLPs, please contact Diane Girard at email@example.com or Colleen O’Brien at firstname.lastname@example.org. For technical questions, please contact email@example.com .
We appreciate your continued support and efforts to ensure that all of students are reading on grade level.